What is OceanConnect?
In order to integrate fully with Ocean, some EMRs require a dedicated, WiFi-connected device running an Android application called OceanConnect. Your OceanConnect device plays a key role in ensuring that your patient data is kept secure and encrypted, while also enabling you to access powerful Ocean features right from your EMR.
What are the hardware requirements for OceanConnect devices?
OceanConnect requires a tablet device running Android 5.0 or higher. There are no minimum screen size or storage requirements; in fact, a small, budget-friendly device is recommended. A good option is the Acer Iconia One (7") running Android 7.0.
Can I use one of my patient-facing Ocean Tablets as my OceanConnect device?
Since OceanConnect app plays a key role in connecting Ocean to your EMR, we recommend that you dedicated a tablet to this purpose only. As a dedicated tablet, it is easier to keep it connected and charged at all times; it is less likely to break (or be dropped); and it can be automatically kept on the most recent version using Google Play auto-updates.
Are there any licence fees for my dedicated OceanConnect device?
No. Unlike patient-facing Ocean Tablets, tablets running OceanConnect in “dedicated” mode do not incur a monthly subscription fee.
What are the effects of activating OceanConnect?
OceanConnect enables Ocean to access your appointment schedule, opening the door to several great features, including automatic check-in when a patient swipes their health card on a kiosk, tablet rules based on reason for visit, Ocean Reminders, and more
Notes for PS Suite Users:
Unlike the traditional interface using the Ocean custom form, OceanConnect allows Ocean to download patients and upload notes. As a result:
- There is no longer a need to open a patient's chart to use Ocean
- There is no longer a need to maintain a Ocean custom form in the patient's chart
- There is no longer a need to insert the Ocean custom form before patients check-in at the kiosk
Unlike with the Ocean custom form, if the chart is already open, PS Suite does not immediately display a progress note when the note downloads. However (much like the scenario when another user types a note for a patient in a different room), PS Suite will display a "Chart Out of Date" message at the top right of the chart, which you can click to refresh the chart and display the note:
To connect your EMR to Ocean, you will need to install and run the OceanConnect app on a dedicated Android tablet (dedicated OceanConnect tablets are never charged a monthly subscription fee). This tablet should not be used for patient form completion and must remain connected to Wi-Fi at all times, as it connects Ocean to your EMR.
Turn off your tablet’s battery-saving features.
- This is to ensure that the OceanConnect app is always running. To access these features, enter the Settings app on the tablet.
- Go into the “Wi-Fi” section of the Settings app and select the cog at the top right corner of the page. Set “Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep” to “Always”.
- Go into the “Battery” section of the Settings app. Ensure that “Intelligent power saving standby” is OFF (i.e. grey and toggled left) and “Battery saver” is set to “Off/Never turn on automatically”.
Check your tablet's current date and time.
- Once you have purchased your tablets, before you install any apps, please check your tablet's current date and time to make sure that it's correct and that your tablet is set to the correct time zone. You can check this in the Settings app > System > Date & time.
Create a Google account on your OceanConnect dedicated tablet.
- On your dedicated OceanConnect tablet, create a Google Play account. We recommend that you create a dedicated account for this purpose (e.g. clinicnameOcean@gmail.com). To do this, click on the Google Play app on the tablet and follow the prompts to create a new Google account. You do not need to auto backup device data or enter a credit card (Ocean apps are free).
Download the Ocean apps from the Google Play Store.
- Search for "CognisantMD" in the Play Store. Find both the OceanConnect and Ocean Tablet apps. Click on each app and select "Install" to download each app.
- Note: If you will be registering more than one Ocean Tablet, you should install OceanConnect on ONLY ONE of them.
Register the Ocean Tablet app.
- Open the Ocean Tablet app (NOT Ocean Connect) and register it by entering your Ocean site number, tablet name (which you can choose), your Ocean username and your Ocean password. Do NOT change the Ocean Server field.
Enter your Shared Encryption Key.
- You will now be prompted to enter your site’s shared encryption key. This is the 16-digit key you created in the Admin tab of the Ocean Portal. If you have not set your encryption key yet, you can do this by going to the Encryption section of the Admin tab in the Ocean Portal.
- Once you’ve entered your encryption key, you will be taken to Ocean Tablet home page and your tablet should appear in the Tablets tab of your Ocean Portal.
If your tablet is running in dedicated OceanConnect mode:
- Open the Google Play Store.
- Search for cognisantmd using the search bar at the top of the screen.
- Select the OceanConnect app and then select "Update".
If your tablet is running in shared mode (i.e. patients can also use it to check in):
- Open the Ocean Tablet app.
- Tap on the Ocean logo (or cog) at the bottom left of the Ocean Tablet home screen.
- Enter your Ocean username and password.
- From the administration menu, choose "Upgrade OceanConnect" and follow the prompts.
Note: We recommend that you install and update OceanConnect on tablets from the Google Play Store, particularly for dedicated OceanConnect tablets, so that they will auto-update silently and automatically even if locked in a cabinet. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you need help with this.
Patients are missing from the Patients Tab of the Ocean Portal
- Log in to the Ocean Portal and navigate to the Patients tab.
- If patients are missing from today's schedule, try manually syncing by selecting "Synchronize Appointments" from the action menu at the bottom left of the Patients tab. (OceanConnect only polls the EMR every 30 minutes, so it might have not updated yet.)
- If Synchronizing Appointments fails to upload the patient, proceed to the troubleshooting steps below.
Ocean notes are not automatically uploading into my EMR
Start by checking on your main OceanConnect tablet:
- Ensure that your main OceanConnect tablet is on, charged, and connected to the internet, and free of any obvious errors or issues.
- Log in to the Ocean Portal and navigate to the Tablets tab.
- Click on the tablet that is "Connect Mode Enabled".
- Check the date and time at which the tablet was "Last Seen". If the tablet was last seen more than 10 minutes ago, this may be why you your patients are not syncing with Ocean.
If the "Last Seen" time on your OceanConnect tablet is more than 10 minutes ago:
- Confirm again that the OceanConnect tablet can connect to the Internet: load a public webpage in the tablet's browser.
- Check the Ocean tablet app (not the OceanConnect app) for the 'gear' icon. It should display a green checkmark if connected successfully.
- Upgrade your OceanConnect tablet by clicking the "Upgrade OceanConnect" button in the Tablets tab of the Ocean Portal. Try the above again after upgrading.
- If the issue remains, choose View Log on the OceanConnect tablet's main screen. If you feel comfortable reading the (verbose) log format, see whether there has been any recent activity. Choose Send to CognisantMD to send us the logs.
- If the issue remains unclear, email us for further support at email@example.com.
An individual Ocean note is not uploading into my EMR
Check for the "Chart Out of Date" button:
- If the patient's chart is open, check for a "Chart Out of Date" icon at the top right of the chart and click it if it is visible. If your notes still haven't downloaded automatically, re-open the chart manually to confirm that the note is missing.
If the note is still missing:
- Open a test patient's chart and click on the Ocean logo on the Ocean Toolbar to open the Ocean custom form.
- If a "Download" button is visible, click it to download the note.
If there is no "Download" button visible:
- Click on the "Portal" link on the Ocean custom form or toolbar to view the patient in the Ocean Portal.
- Check to see if the note is visible when you click on the patient in the Patients tab of the Ocean Portal.
If the patient's note is not visible in the Ocean Portal:
- Click the "Advanced..." button and check whether you can choose "Restore Downloaded Ocean Notes" to bring the missing notes back.
- If you were able to choose "Restore Ocean Downloaded Notes", go back to your EMR and try again downloading the note again by awaiting an automatic download in the patient's chart or by manually clicking the "Download" button on the Ocean toolbar, if necessary.
- For more details, please refer to "My notes aren't appearing in my patient's chart. What do I do?".
Most errors are visible to CognisantMD administrators automatically. However, we occasionally need to ask you to send your OceanConnect logs to us to investigate errors further.
To send your OceanConnect logs to us, follow the steps below:
- Open the OceanConnect app on your tablet and scroll down until you see blue "View Log" button. Click this button.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and you will see a blue button at the bottom to "Send to CognisantMD". Tap this button and the logs will be sent to us.