For a more detailed overview of the steps outlined above, please refer to: "Basic eRequest Workflow".
Guide to eRequests
Learn how to customize your eRequest settings, plus tips on how to best manage your eRequests.
- Basic eRequest Management Workflow (video)
- Basic eRequest Management Workflow
- eRequests Inboxes
- Importing eRequests from the Ocean Portal to an EMR
Receive an eRequest submission.
Review the eRequest submission.
- Follow the link to the Ocean Portal and navigate to the eRequests tab.
- You will find the new eRequest submission in the "New" folder.
Accept or Complete the eRequest submission.
- If this is a simple patient inquiry that can be answered with one reply, simply type your response in the "Comments for Referrer and Patient" box (in the Scheduling pane) and mark the request as "Completed".
- If this is an appointment request, once you've verified that this is a legitimate patient request, accept the eRequest submission.
Import the eRequest information into your patient's chart.
- If you are an PS Suite or OSCAR user, if you have a patient chart with matching demographic data, you should have a quick link on the Ocean Toolbar in your EMR, which will allow you to import a patient's information using the Ocean reference number provided.
- If your eForms are also configured to collect patient demographic fields, these fields should get automatically updated in the patient's chart when you import their eRequest submission.
- If you are using Accuro and there is a field in your eRequest form that is for the patient's health number and that field is mapped to the health number field in the EMR, the note from an accepted eRequest will automatically be uploaded into the patient (with matching health number)'s chart in Accuro.
If you use non-integrated EMR, you can download the eRequest submission and upload it into your EMR as a PDF.
Note: If this was a simple patient inquiry, once you've marked the eRequest as "Completed" and imported the note into the patient's chart in your EMR, then you are done processing this eRequest (and can skip the rest of the steps outlined below).
Book your patient's appointment (if applicable).
- An accepted eRequest will be found in the "Pending Booking" folder.
- If the patient has been booked for their appointment, go back into the eRequests tab of Ocean Portal, find the patient again, enter in their appointment details in the "Scheduling" panel, and then save the eRequest.
Confirm the appointment booking (if applicable).
- If you have an "Email" field on your eRequest form, once you've saved the appointment booking, the patient will be sent an email containing their appointment details and an option to confirm their scheduled appointment.
- The patient will then move into the "Booked Unconfirmed" folder until either they confirm their appointment by clicking the button in the email notification sent to them or you manually mark them as confirmed.
- Once the patient has confirmed their appointment, they will then move into the "Booked Confirmed" folder of the eRequests tab.
Mark the eRequest as completed.
- Once the patient's appointment date has passed, you can go back into the eRequests tab of the Ocean Portal to find their eRequest submission and mark it as "Completed".
- This will move the eRequest to the "Completed" subfolder of the "Processed" folder.
If you have set up an eRequest (i.e. an online web questionnaire that is available to the public via a link on your website), you will be notified when a new submission is completed and the results of this submission will appear in your eRequests inboxes in the Ocean Portal. Below describes the process in which eRequest submissions are received and processed.
Note: Because an eRequest link is available to the public, submissions first enter into your eRequests inbox, rather than directly into the EMR (to make sure any bogus submissions are filtered out before entering into the EMR).
View your eRequest submission.
- Once a new eRequest submission is completed, the Clinical Administrator Email (which can be set in the "Site Account" section of the Admin tab) will receive a notification of its completion.
- From there, you can log in to the Ocean Portal and check your new submission in the "New" inbox of the eRequests tab.
Click on the new submission to view its details.
- General panel:
- This is where any demographic information provided on your eRequest form will populate, including the patient's name, address, phone number, email address, etc.
- Notes panel:
- This is where you can add any free-text or pre-programmed notes related to the eRequest (e.g. Contact attempted, patient was seen, etc.).
- Referral Note panel:
- This is where the results of the eRequest form will populate (a.k.a. the "clinical note" associated with the eRequest form).
- Scheduling panel:
- This is where you can record if and/or when you've booked an appointment for this patient (if, for example, your eRequest link was for patients requesting to book an appointment at your clinic). If the patient has provided their email address, you can also add a comment for the the booking "Comments for Referrer and Patient) and/or attach a file for them to review (using the paperclip icon), as needed.
Manage your eRequest submission's next steps.
- Once you've edited the eRequest to your liking, you can either "Accept" or "Decline" the eRequest.
- This will open up an Import dialog box and move your eRequest into your "Booked Unconfirmed" inbox (or "Pending Booking" inbox if you haven't booked an appointment for them). For more details about how to import eRequests, please refer to "Importing eRequests from the Ocean Portal to an EMR".
- From there, if you've booked an appointment for the patient, you or the patient can confirm their appointment booking (assuming the patient has granted email consent). Once the patient has been seen, you may mark the eRequest as "Completed".
For more details on how long eRequests are kept within Ocean, please refer to "How long will my eReferrals be stored in Ocean?".
We currently support eRequest imports for TELUS PS Suite, OSCAR, and QHR Accuro. If you are not using either of these EMRs, many clinics still use eRequests without an EMR integration, as you also have the option to export eRequests to a spreadsheet or as a PDF at any time.
- To import an eRequest, you'll first want to make sure you are using a version of the Ocean Toolbar with an "Import" button. If your toolbar doesn't include this button, grab the Ocean toolbar from our Telus PS Suite Ocean Toolbar Download Instructions or from our OSCAR Ocean Toolbar Download Instructions.
- Back in the Ocean Portal, open the eRequest tab and find the eRequest you want to import. It will normally be in the "New" folder.
- Log in to the Ocean Portal.
- Navigate to the Admin tab, enter the "Site Features" section (selected from the menu along the left), check off the "Allow accepted eRequests/eReferrals to create patients in your EMR" checkbox, and then save your changes.
- Then, navigate to the eForms tab of the Ocean Portal, find the Ocean eForm that you have used for your eRequest link, and open the eForm in the eForm Editor.
- Ensure that your eForm has a mandatory item that asks for the patient's health number and that the "Populate answer for EMR field" field for that item is set to "hn" (in the Note Formatting tab).
- Note: If you are also accepting eRequest submissions from patients who don't have an existing record in your EMR, you will also want to ensure that your form has mandatory fields that are mapped to corresponding EMR fields for the patient's first name (firstName), last name (surname), and gender (sex), in addition to their health number.
- Once the patient has submitted an eRequest, it will appear in the "New" folder of the eRequests tab of the Ocean Portal.
- Once you accept or complete the patient's eRequest submission, Ocean will look for an existing patient in the Accuro EMR. If one is not found, it will automatically create a new patient chart with the demographic information from the eRequest. The eRequest note will be automatically downloaded as an encounter note in the patient's chart.
- Log in to the Ocean Portal, open the eRequest tab and find the eRequest you want to import. It will normally be in the "New" folder.