STEP 1: Select Email Patient Using the Portal or the Ocean Custom Form (PSS or Oscar)
From the Ocean portal:
From the Ocean Custom Form (PSS or OSCAR):
This will open a message window within within the Ocean portal in an internet browser. The message is pre-populated with the patient’s email address (if available), as well as the default message template. You can change this message by overwriting it or by selecting a new template from the template menu.
STEP 2: Add your secure message, add attachments, and select notification alerts.
- Include Secure Message:
- To include a secure, encrypted message, select the "Include Secure Message" checkbox and type your message in the text box.
- Choose File:
- You may opt to add attachments such as lab requisitions or test results by selecting "Choose File" and selecting the file from your computer.
- Allow reply:
- Secure messages are designed to be clinician-driven. A patient can only send you a secure message after you have sent one to them first. You can allow the patient to respond to your message only by selecting the "Allow reply" checkbox.
- Notify me when viewed:
- Selecting "Notify me when viewed" will provide you with an email confirmation when a patient opens a secure message.
STEP 3: Add forms and select notification alerts.
- Include eForms:
- To include a secure link to an eForm that patient can complete, select the "Include eForm" checkbox.
- Add eForm:
- To include a form for the patient to fill out at home, select "Add eForm" and search for the appropriate eForm. Click the title of the eForm to remove it.
- Notify me when complete:
- Selecting "Notify me when complete" will provide you with an email confirmation when a patient has finished completing the eForm you sent them.
STEP 4: Set security information to require your patient to verify their identity.
The Security Information section at the bottom of the window provides you with identifying information that will be used by the patient to access the secure message and form(s). The options are a password (given to the patient in advance), the patient’s birthdate (pre-populated using data from PSS), the patient’s health number (pre-populated from PSS) or the patient’s PSS number (pre-populated from PSS). You may select one or more of these options. If you do not select any, it will default to the patient’s birthdate.
You can also set Ocean to let you know if a patient doesn’t open a message within a certain period of time by selecting Notify me if no response after.
STEP 5: Send message, receive alerts, and view patient responses in PSS.
You are now ready to send your message. If you have requested email notification related to the secure message or eForm, you will receive an email containing the patient’s PSS chart number as well as their Ocean reference number. The next time you access the patient’s chart, you will see a new encounter note that includes the message as well as any replies and eForms that were completed.
STEP 6: Configure your email address for alerts (optional).
Ocean automatically requires PSS users to log in to Ocean the first time they send a secure message. By default, Ocean will send email alerts and notifications to the email address on file for that Ocean user. If you would like to assign a delegate email address to receive these notifications, you can set this up by logging into the Ocean Portal, clicking on the user name at the top right, selecting “View My Account", and editing the "Clinical Delegate Email".
For more details about setting up the other secure messaging options, please refer to this article.