When you select Add Item, you will be see a menu similar to the one displayed below in the screenshot below.
The basic options include: (1) General tab, (2) Note Formatting tab, and (3) Scripting and More tab.
The General tab is used to select the type of question or item you are adding and to update the text or question. It includes two fields:
- Where you type in the question / question label.
- This drop-down menu provides you with a list of possible question format options.
- Ocean provides a wide range of question types and items that can be added to a form. For a full list of available item types, please refer to: "eForm Item Types".
The Note Formatting tab allows you to customize the way that the clinical note will appear in the patient's chart in your EMR. Below you will find an overview of the options contained in this section.
- Custom Note:
- Generate a custom note for this item instead of the caption (the default).
- Note for Yes-type/No-type answers:
- Overrides the note for affirmative or negative answers (e.g. “Currently smoking” instead of “Smoking: Yes”.
- Flag for Yes-type/No-type answers:
- Sets the colour of the note for positive/negative answers.
- Ordinal for this note:
- Allows you to present this note in a different order from the layout in a section. To set this, enter a number indicating the order in which the note should be presented, relative to the other questions.
- Note: This function will only work for items within the same section and ALL items in the section must have an ordinal number associated with it.
- Show the note for this item:
- Allows you to present the note associated with this question on its own line or on the same line as the questions surrounding it.
- This item's answer should be:
- Selecting the "placed within quotes" checkbox puts quotation marks around answers, if desired.
- Create a note for this item:
- Allows you to choose if you want to create a note for this question if it is completed, always, never, or if certain specific conditions are satisfied.
- Prepopulate this item with:
- Use keywords to set value, e.g. “@ptFirstName”.
- Populate answer for EMR Field:
- Map the patient response to a pre-set field in the EMR (“EMRField”) using keywords.
The Scripting and More tab provides a series of more advanced functions, including the ability to show or hide sections, include or omit parts of the clinical note, calculate scores and codify tablet behaviour. An explanation of the fields in this section is outlined below.
- Item reference:
- This allows you to name your items. You will want to name your items if you wish to hide them under certain conditions or if you are using them in formulas.
- Study export column header:
- When using a form for Ocean Studies, this field allows you to define how the column headers will appear when the date is exported as an .xls file.
- Field validation:
- Use this field to force answers to questions by selecting “non-empty”. You can also dictate the type of answer (e.g., email address, postal code etc.).
- Show this field if / Make Note if:
- Use this to show or hide items (or make a clinical note) depending on answers to previous questions or other patient information (e.g. male versus female). For some examples of what can go in this field, please refer to: "Scripting and More Tab - Show this field if".
- If you have selected formula as your question type, you will enter your formula here. For more examples of what can go in this field, please refer to: "Scripting and More Tab - Formula".
When you select Menu (i.e. a drop-down menu allowing only one selection), Menu Allowing Multiple Selections (i.e. a series of buttons that allows multiple selections), or Numeric Scale as your item type, an additional "Menu Choices" or "Scale Choices" tab will automatically appear. The functionality of each option are described below.
- Left Field:
- Defines the value gets captured in the clinical note.
- First Point:
- The point value is the point response and is returned as the value for intermediate points. The first point determines the lower bound. Points can be useful for scored forms and/or for configuring "Show this field if" feature in the Scripting and More tab.
- Second Point:
- The second choice dictates the step size.
- Final Point:
- The final point determines the max point value.
- Custom Note:
- Allows you to define the custom text that appears in the clinical note, if the patient selects this particular answer.
- Custom Label:
- Custom labels that show up in as the dropdown menu options. Leave these boxes blank to have no label.
- Allows you to add a colour to the response.