Ocean eRequisition custom forms are specialized PS Suite custom forms that provide a simple and seamless workflow for ordering tests and sending eReferrals using Ocean's eReferral Network.
- Each eRequisition custom form is designed to order a specific type of test at a specific referral site. For example, this specific eRequisition custom form is for ordering a diagnostic imaging test at Cambridge Memorial Hospital.
- To provide a familiar experience for PS Suite users accustomed to ordering tests via fax, the eRequisition forms work in much the same manner. Like a faxed form, a user adds the custom form to the chart in the usual manner. Patient information, such as their name, health number, and address, is pre-populated for quick entry, just like faxable forms. However, instead of remaining idly in the chart to await a fax transmission, these forms will open a secure link to an Ocean eRequisition ordering form in your computer's web browser, so that you may order the test in real-time.
Advantages Over Traditional Requisition Forms
eRequisitions offer numerous advantages over the traditional print/fax method:
- Tests are ordered instantly, with no risk of delayed or missed faxes
- The back-and-forth communication for appointment booking and protocoling occurs in real-time and is accessible directly within the EMR
- The requisition form's content is always up-to-date
- The forms provide inline evidence-based decision support to improve test ordering quality
- Clinical fields such as creatinine, allergies are pre-populated
- Patients and referrers can receive instant email notifications for referral status updates
The eRequisition forms are installed in the same way as other PS Suite custom forms.
- First you will need to download a copy of the eRequisition custom form, either from the Ocean eReferral Network website or the recipient site's portal. For example, the Cambridge Memorial custom forms can be downloaded directly from the diagnostic imaging portion of their website. The file should end with ".cfm".
- Next, you must import the form using the "Edit Custom Forms" dialog, accessible via PS Suite's Settings menu.
- Once in the "Edit Custom Forms" dialog, choose "File" and then "Import Form(s)...". Locate the ".cfm" eRequisition file on your local drive and select "Choose".
- To configure the custom form, add it to a (test) patient's chart, and click on the "Settings" button on the bottom right of the form.
- You should then be prompted with multiple options for configuring the form:
- "Set the user initials of the user to receive the referral follow-up message":
- This allows you to specify the PS user (or user group) who should follow-up on this particular test in the future, to ensure the test has been booked appropriately. The default is the PSS-standard "secs", which is the secretary group. You may choose to change this to your own receptionists' initials or another group.
- "Set the follow-up message's incubation period in days":
- This option allows you to specify the number of days for the follow-up message to remain dormant, out of the target user's inbox. Some sites prefer 0 days, to make it instantly appear in the inbox. Others prefer 1, to check back tomorrow. For less urgent test ordering, you may choose a full 7 days.
- "Set the email address to receive updates about this referral":
- When specified, the email address here will receive an instant notification email for significant status updates to the referral. Some clinics have a common "admin" or "reception" email that is well-suited to handle these updates. You may alternatively leave this blank to deactivate email notifications, or use "user" to use the PS user's email as specified in the PS Suite Edit Users Dialog.
- To use the eRequisition form, first go to the patient's chart.
- Add the eRequisition custom form to the chart using the "Data" menu.
- Type "ereq" or the target site's name to quickly find the form in your list, and add it to the chart.
- As soon as the form is added to the chart, your computer's default browser should open (e.g. Chrome, Firefox or Safari) to display the requisition form.
- The patient and clinician information is pre-populated on the form as shown here:
- Note: You may click the "Email" checkbox in the patient's contact information to provide them with instant email notifications for status updates regarding this referral. However, since email is generally regarded as an insecure medium, you must obtain patient consent before activating email notifications.
- When you have completed the requisition form, click "eRefer".
- At this point, the recipient will receive an email notification regarding the eReferral, and will be able to access it instantly when prompted.
- Once the requisition is sent, a follow-up message is sent internally within PSS to assist your team with following up the referral. This message minimizes the likelihood that the referral booking will be forgotten.
- At any point, when the referral is updated on the recipient end, you will see a live summary directly within the patient's chart. This summary is updated each time you open the chart, or whenever you click the Refresh button.
- When the patient is marked as "Seen", the next time the chart is loaded, the eRequisition form will remove itself automatically.
- At any time, you may click "Remove" on the form to remove it from the chart. Note, however, that this will prevent you from seeing any further updates to the referral.
If you have any difficulty with the referral process, please try the following:
- Ensure that you have updated to the latest version of the eRequisition custom form, by repeating the Installation guide above if necessary.
- If your web browser fails to open when you add the form, try using another computer or another default browser.
- If it fails to work over the VPN, ensure that you have general Internet access by opening a common website such as www.cbc.ca.
- If you have any other difficulties, please reach out to us using the support portal here.