Ocean allows you to bulk upload a list of patients from a file to assist with performing population-based interventions or batch patient communication. A list of patients can be uploaded with a user-specified "Cohort ID", which you can use to send batches of online questionnaires or secure messages.
Below is a step-by-step guide outlines how to send a secure mass email message to patients using Ocean.
Create your patient list file.
- Within your EMR, you will need to export a list of patients, including their basic demographic information in a Microsoft Excel or a .csv text file.
- The means by which you obtain this list of patients varies depending on which EMR you use, but it usually involves the execution and export of a search report in the system.
- Many EMRs let you export a list of patients with upcoming appointments, which is particularly useful for using Ocean to send pre-visit questionnaires or reminders. However, as long as you can create a list of patients with their basic demographic fields in Microsoft Excel or as a tab-delimited or .csv text file, you should be able to make it into a format that Ocean accepts.
- To learn how to obtain a properly formatted file that Ocean accepts, please refer to "Uploading a Patient Cohort File to Ocean for Batch Emailing".
Upload and name your patient list file.
- In the Ocean Portal, under the Patients tab, select "Upload Patients from File" from the Actions menu at the bottom left.
- Search for the file that you created in Step 1.
- Select the appropriate file "Importer" from the dropdown menu (e.g. standard, PSS or Accuro).
- Give the file a name next to "Assign Cohort ID".
- If appropriate, you can also add any eForms to be included in the email under "Queue eForms for uploaded patients".
Send a batch of emails to your patient cohort.
- To send a batch email, select "Email Cohort" from the Actions menu at the bottom left-hand corner of the Patients tab.
- Select your group using the "Select Cohort" dropdown menu.
- Select the template that you wish to send from the Templates menu at the top right-hand corner of the dialogue box. (Learn how to set up your online message templates in "Ocean Online Message Templates".
- Select "Send Invitations" to send your emails.
- Note: If you wish to edit your templates, you must do so by opening the email window for a single patient from within the Patients tab.
View your batch email transaction logs.
- For audit or tracking purposes, you may want to download a record of all the batch emails that have been sent to your various patient cohorts. To do this, navigate to the Admin tab of the Ocean Portal.
- Under "Export Batch Email Transaction Logs", select the date range that you want to see in your exported file. To see all batch email transactions, leave these date fields blank.
- If you'd only like to see the report for a specific cohort, enter the Cohort ID in the field below the date range. If you'd like to view all your cohorts, leave this field blank.
- Click "Export" and your log will download as a .csv file, which can then be opened in Microsoft Excel.