Ocean allows you to bulk upload a list of patients from a file to assist with performing population-based interventions or batch patient communication. A list of patients can be uploaded with a user-specified 'Cohort ID', which you can use to send batches of online questionnaires or secure messages.
Below is a step-by-step guide outlines how to send a secure mass email message to patients using Ocean. Click here to download a PDF version of this guide.
STEP 1. Create the Patient List File
Within your EMR, you will need to export a list of patients, including their basic demographic information in a Microsoft Excel or a .csv text file.
The means by which you obtain this list of patients varies depending on which EMR you use, but it usually involves the execution and export of a search report in the system. Many EMRs let you export a list of patients with upcoming appointments, which is particularly useful for using Ocean to send pre-visit questionnaires or reminders. However, as long as you can create a list of patients with their basic demographic fields in Microsoft Excel or as a tab-delimited or .csv text file, you should be able to make it into a format that Ocean accepts. Please refer to this article for more information on how to obtain a properly formatted file.
STEP 2. Upload and Name the Patient List File
In the Ocean Portal, under the Patients tab, select "Upload Patients from File" from the Actions menu at the bottom left.
- Search for the file that you created in Step 1.
- Select the appropriate file "Importer" from the dropdown menu (e.g. standard, PSS or Accuro).
- Give the file a name next to "Assign Cohort ID".
- If appropriate, you can also add any eForms to be included in the email under "Queue eForms for uploaded patients".
STEP 3. Send a Batch of Emails to a Patient Cohort
To send a batch email, select "Email Cohort" from the Actions menu at the bottom left-hand corner of the Patients tab.
- Select your group using the "Select Cohort" dropdown menu.
- Select the template that you wish to send from the Templates menu at the top right-hand corner of the dialogue box.
- Select "Send Invitations" to send your emails.
Note: If you wish to edit your templates, you must do so by opening the email window for a single patient from within the Patients tab.
STEP 4. View Your Batch Email Transaction Logs
For audit or tracking purposes, you may want to download a record of all the batch emails that have been sent to your various patient cohorts. To do this, navigate to the Admin tab of the Ocean portal.
- Under "Export Batch Email Transaction Logs", select the date range that you want to see in your exported file. To see all batch email transactions, leave these date fields blank.
- If you'd only like to see the report for a specific cohort, enter the Cohort ID in the field below the date range. If you'd like to view all your cohorts, leave this field blank.
- Click "Export" and your log will download as a .csv file, which can then be opened in Microsoft Excel.